Monday, October 21, 2013

Time kicking me down the road

So I guess I really did set up my own personal blog, way back when, and I really did completely forget about it ever since. I feel like I created it just as I was in the midst of my 'Grad School or Bust!' ennui and I feel fairly certain if I had gone 'Bust' I would have kept it up. Probably over daily tuna melt sandwiches at Stell while I tried to pursue the whole writing thing. But I got into the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at Naropa University in Boulder, Colorado, and this blog got left behind.

But look at that Earth. Look at that The Prisoner font. I can't just let this guy fester, unseen. Time for a resurrection!

I plan to begin a horror review blog this week so then I'll have two blogs I feel angsty about consistently updating. I also feel like this will be excellent stress on my system, forcing me to produce actual finished content instead of just scribbling endlessly in blank books. Though my scribbled thoughts are actually pretty cool. You can't see those, though. I did just send a few of my better horror fiction ideas to a close friend (who just sold her first book: congrats!) so that too is making me feel better about putting my work out there. It's so silly how keeping everything contained seems like the best idea, but then you see your basic 'brilliant' ideas used in books or movies or television and the initial thought is not "Hey, I could have sold that idea if I was on-the-ball" but instead "Man I'll never get anything published or made." How's that for being born under a bad sign?

Anyway, I still love my main novel idea, which comprised my final creative manuscript at Naropa and continues to exist in various revisions littering my computer's desktop. But since I was a young child, reading Stephen King and Dean Koontz way before I was ready for it (my parents were cool with all my reading and my grandma to this day stocks an awesome horror library), I've wanted to write horror and so that's what I'm going to do. "Naropa University doesn't produce horror writers," my favorite Redlands professor told me as I sat in her office and we talked about my future. Well, thanks to accepting me as of 2010, they sure as hell do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment